Directions & Hours
MapQuest, Google, etc. and GPS do not always bring you directly to the shelter. Use the Sheriff's Department address of 1425 South Madison Avenue, Monroe to ensure you get to our location.
Turn by Turn Directions
We are located at 1411 South Madison Avenue, Monroe, behind the Walton County Sheriff's Department. South Madison Avenue comes off Highway 11 approximately 1.5 miles south of downtown Monroe. From Highway11, turn onto South Madison Avenue. We are the 4th drive on the right, just follow the blue signs. The animal control building is down the hill to the left just before the jail sally port.
Shelter Viewing Hours
The kennel is open to the public for general viewing of adoptable animals Monday through Friday from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and select Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. (see below). Approved applicants of specific animals may view in the morning hours during the week by appointment. Adoptions and rescues may be picked up in the morning or afternoon, see office hours below.
The office is open to process adoptions and rescues Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed for lunch noon to 1 p.m.). The office is also open select Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (see below). Saturday hours are operated with minimal staff and telephones may not be answered; so please leave a message when calling.
Adoptions take approximately 15 minutes to complete so please arrive 15 minutes prior to closing.
Animals may be picked up in the mornings by appointment.
Rescue Pickup Hours
Animals may be picked up by licensed rescues anytime during our regular office hours. Animals can be viewed during the shelter viewing hours. Representatives of licensed rescue groups may also view the adoptable animals in the morning hours by appointment. Saturday pick-ups may also be possible by appointment. Saturday hours are operated with minimal staff and telephones may not be answered; so please leave a message when calling.
Weekends & Holidays
We are closed on Sundays, holidays, and select Saturdays of each month. Rescues and adoptions may be done by appointment on Saturdays in which the shelter is closed to the public. Please make arrangements by emailing Animal Control. Saturday hours are operated with minimal staff and telephones may not be answered; so please leave a message when calling.
Upcoming 2019 holiday and weekend closures:
- Saturday, February 23 - closed
- Friday, April 19 - closed for Good Friday holiday
- Saturday, April 20 - closed
- Saturday, May 25 - closed
- Monday, May 27 - closed for Memorial Day holiday
- Thursday, July 4 - closed for Independance Dayholiday
- Saturday, August 31 - closed
- Monday, September 2 - closed for Labor Day holiday
- Wednesday, November 27 - closing at 4:00 PM
- Thursday, November 28 - closed for Thanksgiving holiday
- Friday, November 29 - closed for Thanksgiving holiday
- Monday, December 23 - closed for Christmas holiday
- Tuesday, December 24 - closed for Christmas holiday
- Wednesday, December 25 - closed for Christmas holiday