Walton County Government

  • Walton County Board of Commissioners (left to right): Timmy Shelnutt, District 3; Lee Bradford, District 4; Clinton Ayers, District 1; Kevin Little, Chair; Jeremy Adams, District 5; Mark Banks, District 2; Kirklyn Dixon, District 6

About Walton County

Walton County, forty-five miles east of Atlanta in Georgia's Piedmont region, is the state's forty-sixth county. Comprising 329 square miles, it was created by the Lottery Act of 1818 from land originally held by both the Cherokee and Creek Indians and was named for George Walton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and briefly a Georgia governor.

The county seat is Monroe, where the current county courthouse was opened in 2005.  The historic county courthouse (the third) was built in 1883; since that time the structure has undergone major restorations and additions. Walton County has been home to seven Georgia governors: James Boynton, Howell Cobb, Alfred Colquitt, Wilson Lumpkin, Henry McDaniel, Richard Russell, Jr. and Clifford Walker. Also from Walton County was Moina B. Michael, known as the "Poppy Lady." She developed the symbol of the red Flanders Field Poppy as a memorial emblem for the veterans of wars.



Walton County eVerify Number - 47785 – Effective 07/27/2007